BACK TO BBNovaRacing HOME PAGE

BBNovaRacing.com

Because old school is so cool
It is currently Mar Thu 28, 2024 7:36 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Exhaust Gas Temp Sensors
PostPosted: Jan Tue 20, 2004 12:39 am 
Kevin, I see from your new pictures that you use EGT sensors. How much do you rely on that data for NOS tuning? I've read some other posts with guys were saying throw all that out and read the plugs because it more reliable. Whats your take on this? I've never found a good tech article on EGT tuning. There was one article in Drag Racing Magazine and it wound up being more an add for a particular Data Logger. Not knowing how it works, I'll assume you would try and get all the sensors even by using the MSD box timing curve. If thats correct then how would you settle on an ideal number for high HP without crossing the line and melting expensive parts?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Jan Tue 20, 2004 8:19 am 
Old Skool
Old Skool

Good question. Here Is what I do. The EGT's are only for major breakage. If a hole goes out or a machanical failure or something like that. I have yet to come across anyone who tunes witht the EGT's. The plug read is the best for tuning fuel and timing. Lukovich (check my links page) sells a tool that allows you to look down in the plug where the porsalin ends. It looks like what the doctor uses to look in your ears and nose. It is an excellent tool. You are looking for a fuel ring at the base. Not too dark just the right shade of gray here. The timing is read by a cross between reading the plug and the motor vacumm. As detonation occurs the piston will loose it's seal to the bore and vacumm will go away. Hope this helps, Kevin

Post subject:
PostPosted: Jan Tue 20, 2004 12:53 pm 
Big Block!
Big Block!

Very nice post Kevin. You can buy a video tape from Patrick James at Pro Systems that talks about EGT's and plugs. Really good video...

For timing I have been using the visual apperence of the cadium flaking of the NGK plug ground strap. The cadium coating flakes at the right temp.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Jan Tue 20, 2004 1:16 pm 
Old Skool
Old Skool

Ya when you are rattleing the pistons!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Jan Tue 20, 2004 6:09 pm 
Big Block!
Big Block!

You think so Kevin? The EGT's show fine. The O2 sensors show fine. And the pistons show fine... Maybe thats only true with my combo. Sorry for any misinformation.... :oops:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Jan Tue 20, 2004 7:09 pm 
Kevin are you using a vacum sensor on your data logger then?