BBNovaRacing.com

Because old school is so cool
It is currently Apr Sat 27, 2024 9:10 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Monty.......
PostPosted: Jan Mon 19, 2004 9:14 pm 
Super Sport Sedan
Super Sport Sedan

Hey I have a vid of your car when it catches fire.....What the hell happened????

Nitrous cars are a lot like hot wemon, every man wants one, some men cant handle them and if you throw a little alcohol in the mix they will rock your world!!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Jan Tue 20, 2004 12:46 pm 
Big Block!
Big Block!

Well it was a nice sunny Michigan day. Nothing could go wrong. I was making my test passes for the NHRA license and that was my 3rd pass. Thats all I needed to get the big OK. Well I did a burn out and came to a stop. I seen a small flash and it went away. Then I seen smoke coming in from a hole that I forgot to put a plate back up on. I look at it and wondered what the hell it could be. In a flash, the smoke caught fire and my legs were burning. I tried to get out as fast as possible. I pulled the cable to my halon system as I exited the car. The fire went out and my legs felt sunburnt. Well after getting the car to the pits we noticed the injector rail was a little lose. It had blown an o-ring out of one of the injectors. I found out really fast that 200PSI, 118 octane fuel, a broken o-ring, and a spark dont mix.. LOL

Anyway, I did get my license as I worked up a deal that I dont wanna talk about..LOL The car was redone for the Martin NSCA race 2 days later... That was a lot of work....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Jan Tue 20, 2004 1:19 pm 
Old Skool
Old Skool

Oh and Monty is doing plumbing jobs at half price if anyone is interested!!!LMFAO!!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Jan Tue 20, 2004 4:53 pm 
Super Sport Sedan
Super Sport Sedan

Damn man... Pretty scary. Glad you are ok, And only a true racer would come out of that and run again in two days.... :bbnova:

Nitrous cars are a lot like hot wemon, every man wants one, some men cant handle them and if you throw a little alcohol in the mix they will rock your world!!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Jan Tue 20, 2004 6:10 pm 
Big Block!
Big Block!

SNYPER wrote:
Damn man... Pretty scary. Glad you are ok, And only a true racer would come out of that and run again in two days.... :bbnova:

Kevin would know nothing about being a real racer.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Jan Tue 20, 2004 8:53 pm 
Super Sport Sedan
Super Sport Sedan

ah o...I since some hostility brewing again........ oeps

Post subject:
PostPosted: Jan Wed 21, 2004 12:51 pm 
Jr. Dragster
Jr. Dragster

Hey Monty, Did the Halon make you sick for awhile, one of our guys cars caught fire in the beams and once he hit the Halon, I was sick for about 2hrs. And I was only 10ft from it. Can't imagine how bad it was inside the car. I also hear they have come out with a new system that is less dangerous to the driver himself, I forget the name of the product.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Jan Wed 21, 2004 12:57 pm 
Big Block!
Big Block!

Yeah the new stuff is called green something or another. I have some of it for my trailer just incase in the pits something happens. I have all my halon nozzles plumbed outside of the car in the engine compartment. I have heard people have passes out for the stuff and thought it wouldn't be the greatest idea to install it inside. I never did get a smell of it. I pulled the cord as I left the car. I ran to the back of it and stayed there for a few seconds. I HATE FIRE!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Jan Wed 21, 2004 2:38 pm 
Jr. Dragster
Jr. Dragster

You got out pretty quick then, I was right next to this thing when he turned on the nitrous pump and the line wasn't connected, the Halon put out the fire under the hood but plenty of fuel got under the car and was a bear to put out. Its amazing how much just a couple of seconds that the pump was turned on how much fuel was dumped. The track staff didn't handle the sitution well, but the crew easily rolled the car back out of harms way.

ImageClick Thumbnail For Full Size Pic !!

There was a second fire the same day about 2hrs later with one of our street cars, Marino Cintrons "Bad To The Bone" El Camino. The car is a street legend here in Philly and after residing in a garage for over 10yrs, he brought it out to run in the index race, it's first pass it labored off the line and at half track the fire was way too intense to help recover the vehicle, with a full bottle of nitrous in the car needless to say there was no hope of it being saved. Out of respect we have never posted the picture of his car burning to the ground.

ImageClick Tumbnail For Full Size Pic !!

Click Here for the full video, gotta see the end !!, Or Right Click and SAVE TARGET AS

Mark Bowen also had a huge fire that ended his season at the final of 2002, as another one of thos damn fuel lines was loose and after a 100 foot wheelstand it all went wrong, the fire was evident as he passed the 200ft mark and the car rolled to a stop, the track staff also got there a quickly. Mark was OK and the last thing you want to do is open a hood under those circumstances. The result was a huge blast.

Post subject: Safety
PostPosted: Jan Wed 21, 2004 10:14 pm 
Super Sport Sedan
Super Sport Sedan

Just got back from R.J.S. got fitted for a new jacket and pants and had the belts re-certed. They carry a fire system (saw in there display) what types do you guys run and what would you recommend ?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Jan Thu 22, 2004 1:03 am 
Super Sport Sedan
Super Sport Sedan

How much to have your belts re-certed????

Post subject: Re-Cert
PostPosted: Jan Thu 22, 2004 9:37 am 
Super Sport Sedan
Super Sport Sedan

The Re-cert cost $35.00, It was a package deal because I bought other stuff.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Jan Fri 23, 2004 6:44 pm 
Super Sport Sedan
Super Sport Sedan

Thanks....... :wink: