BBNovaRacing.com

Because old school is so cool
It is currently Apr Tue 16, 2024 6:08 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 4mula
PostPosted: Jan Thu 15, 2004 3:15 am 
Super Sport Sedan
Super Sport Sedan

Just saw your post on the NSCA forum under "Heads". Just wondering on the 3500 lbs Malibu, gone 8.28 @171 with 13 to 1 540, Dart 320, and single fogger.
BUT, what's your thoughts on my combo: oeps
499.996 Cibic inch, Pontiac "427" rolled to 14 deg. Pro Stock EPD heads and Dart cast single four, 16 to 1 comp. Heads flow 488 @ 900 lift @ 28.0" through the intake. Fogger, .850 cam (proven already, dyno) made 1078hp plus fogger, Also '69 Nova around 3300lbs. But small ET Street tire (30 X13.5 X 15's). Motor is an ex-Pro Stock thats why the 499. Bought from a guy up here in the frozen north as his back up, changed rods and added single four for 3 fogger :?: ( yeah right???), but kept the LA crank, and rollerized cam bearings to spin in the 10300 range on Spray. Now the shop that built this is saying 8.70's on motor, whatever on NOS when you plant it. Whats your thoughts. I was hoping for an 8.0's at best?? :P
Thanks, John

Post subject:
PostPosted: Jan Thu 15, 2004 11:45 am 
Jr. Dragster
Jr. Dragster

1,078 in that car to go 8.70's is a very hard scenario, unless you have the right converter and gear to get into the power range, I'm guessing it's a glide so you may need 4:56's and a very tight converter at the minimum. for the drop in Rpm between shifts. I'm also thinking that this thing revs like crazy. You say the tire is small but at 13.5 the section aspect says pretty big. We found that also going from 16:1 down to 13:1 was much safer for the nitrous tune, twice this year we lifted ring lands when the tune said it shouldn't, but it also would have ran in the 8teens on that pass. Checkout the calculator on the front page here at BBnova Racing for one of Chris' calculators, they work fairly well if you add real information, not over done ya know. Kenny's car is also a pig on motor, as mos of the N20 cars are. If it's set up for n20 it won't go that fast on motor. Look for mph to give you the best Idea of what it will be capable of.

Rich Maitre is by far the best at these combo predictions and has one of the best reps for head work and cam selection, on or off the bottle. He's most likely seen your combo many times in his years. Kevins builder also seems very good at getting a Nova down the track fast.

You can find Rich on the NSCA page or gDR, and his contact info is in both places if you feel the answer was not quite what you needed. But I think you're going to need at least 1,350 on the spray at 60% progressive off the tree.